6 Everyday Items You Can Get Paid to Recycle
We all know that recycling is good for the environment, but not everyone knows that it can also be good for our wallets. Some materials just get picked up by a designated company on a regular basis during the rubbish collection. But there are certain items that you can collect and sell later on to earn an extra penny. So now you have another reason to sort your waste properly.
Why is recycling important?
The most obvious consequence of giving your things a chance for a second life is the fact that they won’t end up in a landfill. It allows us to reduce the amount of waste that contaminates the environment. However, there’s also another benefit of such actions. If we reuse the materials we already have, we don’t have to produce so many new ones. That’s why scrap metal recycling is so good for the planet. It helps us limit the need for mining. But while metals are among the most valuable things we can reprocess, they are not the only ones. Plastic and paper can be recycled as well, even if only a limited number of times. There’s also glass that, similarly to metals, doesn’t lose its properties during processing, which means it can be used again and again almost endlessly.
6 Items you can recycle for money
Just because you’re doing something good for our planet doesn’t mean you cannot look for ways to get some extra cash out of it. And recycling creates a great opportunity to enjoy both of those things at once. There are many items in your house, which you wouldn’t even think twice about when throwing them out, but they hold quite a value in reality. Sure, you won’t earn huge amounts, but it’ll be enough to repair your budget a little bit.
- Mobile devices – When we get a new phone, we often end up throwing the old one into a drawer, just in case. But the reality is that in most cases it will never be needed again. It’s the same thing with other devices like tablets and laptops. By storing them needlessly in our houses, we’re just stopping all the materials, that were used to make them, from being processed and reused again. You can look for scrap metal collectors in London or your local area, to find ones that are willing to buy electronic waste.
- Food cans – Aluminium is a metal that is in constant demand and our need for it will only grow in the future. That’s because it can be used in various parts of our lives, from construction to electronics. And currently, aluminium cans are some of the most recycled items in the world. But it doesn’t mean the numbers can’t go even higher. If you decide to start your scrap metal collection, you should be aware that the prices per kg can change from time to time, so keep an eye on them to make sure you choose your timing well. However, if you’re hoping to earn a lot of money this way, you’ll need to collect a significant number of cans.
- Ink Cartridges – In this day and age, we no longer need to print as many things as in the past because we have easy access to all the necessary documents at any given time. But still, there are moments when a digital file won’t be enough, and we need it on paper as well. And if you’re one of the people who find themselves in such a situation quite often, you probably have to buy new ink cartridges regularly. You can look online for companies willing to buy your used cartridges, so it’s a good opportunity to get some money back.
- Clothes – If you have clothes you no longer need, but they are still in good condition, you can try to sell them. You can also look for websites that offer a chance of swapping your items with things other people want to give away. But there’s a chance you’d rather get money, instead of finding yourself with new clothes you’ll never wear. There are many companies that you can sell to, some of them will even let you schedule a pick up from your home. And it’s not just about shirts or jackets, but generally all types of textiles you don’t want anymore.
- Bottle corks – There’s no need to throw corks away after enjoying a bottle of wine. There are many people willing to buy them. That’s because lately, corks are becoming a more and more popular addition in home decorations. So unless you want to use them in your own DIY project, you can start collecting them and look for an opportunity to sell them online.
- Household appliances – Household appliances like fridges and washing machines can be difficult to throw out because of their size. But you can easily arrange with your local scrap yard to pick up such items from your home. Of course, the amount of money you’ll be able to get will depend on current scrap metal prices. In some cases, it’s possible to give away your old appliances when buying new ones. There’s even a chance of getting a discount because of it.